15 Nov Eco-Friendly Upgrades for Florida Homes
A trend that is growing in popularity for new and remodeled homes is eco-friendly upgrades. Adding eco-friendly upgrades provide many benefits to your home. Reducing energy use decreases your overall energy costs. Going eco-friendly reduces your carbon footprint. Having environmentally friendly upgrades can increase the value of your home for future re-sale.
Here are some examples of eco-friendly upgrades for Florida homes:
- Insulation: In Florida, insulation keeps the warm air out and the cool air in. Any cracks or holes can cause cool air to escape, meaning your A/C must pump out more air which increases your energy usage. In turn, on those rare chilly days the insulation will keep the heat inside. You can also add reflective insulation to the outside of your home to help keep it cooler.
- Water usage: Limiting the amount of time in the shower and turning the faucet off while brushing your teeth are easy ways to reduce your water usage. There are also upgrades you can make to your plumbing like adding aerators or water-saving fixtures to your showers and sinks.
- Using reclaimed wood: If your remodeling, consider using reclaimed wood. Repurposed materials are a great way to be eco-friendly.
- Energy-efficient windows: Installing energy-efficient windows can significantly reduce your energy usage by making sure no cool air escapes.
- Solar water heater: If you need to replace your water heater soon, consider getting a solar water heater. It can save you a lot of money on energy usage and is a great selling point.
- Upgrade your thermostat: Consider upgrading to a “smart” thermostat that will keep your house cool without wasting unnecessary energy when no one is home. Some thermostats can be controlled through an app on your phone.
These are just some examples of eco-friendly upgrades you can make to your Florida home. La Maison Custom Home Builders in Sarasota and Manatee County builds and remodels custom homes. Please contact us today to schedule an estimate!